Sunday, August 1, 2010

Meetup.com

For a while, I hosted a meetup group called the Boca Raton Comic Book/Sci-Fi/Horror Meetup Group. I managed to gradually attract 62 members to the group. I hosted a total of 18 events, ranging from meeting at Starbucks to grab some coffee and talk about these topics to meeting at local comic shops to going to see the newest sci-fi or horror movie. I even scheduled a meetup at an arcade, which no one showed up to. The highest attendance I ever had at one of my meetups was 4 people, including myself (and 2 of those people were my friends). The problem was that a bunch of people signed up for each of my events, but few if any actually attended

I have heard from several meetup organizers that this trend is typical, but those groups tended to be larger than mine, so if their events have less people than the amount that originally signed up its not as big of a deal. I am still active in several meetups, mainly movie related ones which meet rather frequently.

I used to be involved in more meetup groups, but I either lost interest or can't go anymore. There was a sci-fi one which was fairly interesting at first until it became apparent that they did the same thing every meeting (met in a conference room at a far away Dunkin Donuts for discussion and online videos), there was the volleyball one which I enjoyed but can no longer attend because of my back problems, a beach walk one where I was the youngest person by far, and an urban bike ride which I can no longer do because of my back as well.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment